- University of Massachusetts School of Law – Dartmouth, Juris Doctorate, Magna Cum Laude
- Erin joined the firm in 2005, working for more than 10 years as a case manager prior to becoming an attorney.
- Attorney Nunes is the team leader for Surprenant & Beneski’s Medicaid Planning team.
Community Education & Support
- Lecturer on elder law issues, estate, trust and special needs planning
- Authors articles for Elder Law Today, Blog on MyFamilyEstatePlanning.com, Guide to Retirement & Beyond
Memberships / Recognition
- Member National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys, Wealth Counsel, Massachusetts Forum of Estate Planning Attorneys
- Serves on the Human Rights Committee of Comprehensive Health Systems, Dartmouth
- Named to Thompson Reuters / Boston Magazine’s Super Lawyer® list as Rising Star: 2017, 2018, 2019
- Recognized on Top Women Lawyers list by Thomas Reuters / Boston Magazine: 2018, 2019
- Firm recognized with Hope Award from Southcoast Healthcare VNA, 2018
“Erin Shea, with the assistance of Silvia, was highly knowledgeable, empathetic and very professional towards planning my elderly parents’ estate! A pleasure to deal with, we highly recommend them! A+”
(B. Cordeiro, 5/18)
“Everything that was presented to us was put into layman terms – easy to understand. The staff was professional and understanding of our needs. We would highly recommend Surprenant & Beneski!”
(M. & D. Logan, 8/18)
Erin L. Nunes, Esq., an attorney at Surprenant & Beneski, P.C., has recently been named, for the fourth consecutive year, to the 2020 Massachusetts Super Lawyer Rising Star list. This is an honor awarded to no more than 2.5 percent of the attorneys in each state.
Erin demonstrates her personal commitment to the aging population and their loved ones on a daily basis. She has a well-earned reputation for helping older clients protect their assets from being depleted by long-term care, manage the complexities of affording care, handle tax issues as they arise, and ensure that their children and grandchildren will receive their inheritances as intended.
Nowhere is Erin’s compassion more visible than in the way she prepares our senior clients for Medicaid eligibility. Because Medicaid is a means-tested program, there is a complex process that needs to be followed to achieve eligibility. This is where Erin’s in-depth knowledge of the Medicaid/MassHealth system is invaluable. She will help families navigate the process, ensuring that the person needing Medicaid to off-set the expense of their care becomes eligible while maintaining the lifestyle of the pouse remaining at home. Additionally, she will help to protect and preserve assets for future generations. With her adept navigation of the Medicaid/MassHealth system, Erin and team will guide you and your loved ones through the process.
In addition to deciding who gets what when you die, you have key roles to fill that deserve thoughtful deliberation as part of the estate-planning process, experts say. In addition to choosing an executor — the person who ensures your wishes are carried out and that your estate is settled — it’s wise to name […]
Failing to complete your estate plan may not be among the top 5 lifetime regrets but it can certainly have the same impact. Estate Planning is one of these tasks that often fall under “discretionary spending,” and because it has the stigma of having to contemplate your own death, it often drops to the bottom […]
The strong emotions that come with a love one’s passing are often followed by bewilderment when survivors realize all of the financial and legal steps they must take to settle their affairs. The spouse who passed away may have handled all of the couple’s finances, leaving the other uninformed and overwhelmed. Or perhaps a caregiver […]