MarketWatch Article: I want to make sure my son always has a place to live. Should I add him to the deed for my house?

By Jacob Passy

Dear MarketWatch,

I have a 31-year-old adult son with special needs. I am 73 years old and plan on moving back to New York and buying a home after I sell my current home in California.

I want my son to always have a home. I want to put his and my name on the deed. He has a special-needs trust, which I am thinking of dissolving unless the home can transfer to him.

He is not conserved. Would appointing a power of attorney be in his best interest to make sure his name stays on the deed, or should I just put his name on the deed so the house turns over to him upon my death? Not sure which way to go with this.


Uncertain Mother

To continue reading, click here…