Makes 4 dozen biscuits Ingredients:
- 8 cups of flour
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 2 cups of sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup of butter *at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon of lard/shortening *at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Preheat oven at 350, and lightly grease baking trays
- In an extra large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well and leave aside.
- In a separate large bowl, using a hand mixer, cream together the 3 sticks of butter and lard/shortening. Mix in the sugar and eggs and beat together at a high speed until creamy. Then add the heavy cream and beat for another 2 minutes. Once everything is well incorporated, mix in the lemon zest and leave aside.
- Next you will make a well in the bottom of the bowl of flour by pushing the flour to the sides of the bowl. Then, you’re going to slowly pour the creamy mixture in to the well. Using a mixing spoon, start blending them together until the dough gets too hard and then you will need to knead the rest by hand. Take the dough out of the bowl and place on to a floured surface and continue to knead until you can form the dough into a large ball. Now you can start and take pieces of dough and roll out into a small size ball or into shapes such as a wreath. It’s up to you! There is no right or wrong.
- Place in oven for 15-20 min +/- depending on your oven or until there a golden color.
Recipe courtesy of Maria Lawton and the Azorean Breenbean. Used by Permission. All rights reserved.