Tax Preparations for Seniors

Few things in life cause more dread than tax time. It’s a lot of work to gather all the paperwork and financials that you will need. There’s also the fear of getting audited or forgetting to include something that could have resulted in a bigger refund. This is why so many people opt to have their taxes done professionally. For many seniors who are on a fixed income, filing taxes through a professional is cost prohibitive. There is help for them, however. Consider these sources for older and low-income filers:

  • Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) is a program that provides tax preparation assistance to people aged 60+ from IRS-certified volunteers. For more information, call 888-227-7669 toll-free or check online.
  • Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) is a federal program which IRS-certified volunteers provide tax-preparation services to people who less than $56,000 a year or are disabled or have limited English. To find a nearby VITA site call 1-800-906-9887 search online by clicking here.
  • IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) Local IRS offices that host a Taxpayer Assistance Center can also be of service. To find a site nearest to you, click here.
  • AARP Foundation Tax-Aide is offered by AARP. You do not have to be a member to participate. Appointments can be for in-person or virtual from Feb 1 through April 18. It is free of charge to anyone who is 50+ or are  low to moderate income brackets. To see if this service is available in your area, click here.
  • Online Agencies consider online options such as Turbo Tax, Credit Karma and H&R Block.

Another good resource is your local Aging Services Access Points:

  • Bristol Elders (Fall River)
  • Coastline (New Bedford)
  • Elder Services of Cape Cod

They will have information on COA’s (Council on Aging) that may have clinics or they may have resources such as tax preparers that offer discounted rates for seniors.

Remember that when you show up for your appointment to have all necessary documents to file both your state and federal taxes. Here is a list from The Massachusetts Department of Revenue that you will need. For federal, here is a list from the Internal Revenue Service.